Gas is up, groceries are up, everything is UP! How does cutting your energy bill down sound? Here are 9 ways to cut into your energy bill this summer:
- Consider having your windows tinted. Not only does tinted windows cut down on your energy bill it also helps to preserve your furniture.
- While at work turn the air up a few degrees. Instead of leaving it at “69” turn it up to “72” or “73”. Don’t waste your hard-earned money cooling an empty home.
- Fans help cut into the energy cost by circulating the air throughout your home. Before purchasing new fans for your home, make sure the fans are energy-efficient.
- Change your bulbs to compact fluorescent light(CFL) bulbs. These bulbs cost a few more dollars, but last longer and use less power.
- Plant trees around your windows to shade your home. The leaves from the shrubs will keep your home cool in the summer, and also help in the winter by allowing the sun to enter when the leaves fall.
- Instead of using the dryer, how about letting your clothes air dry?
- Unplug items you don’t use often. You may think things like your electronics are not using power because they’re off, wrong.
- Try to avoid baking during the day. Although tempting, baking can heat up a room pretty quickly. If it’s a must, turn on your ventilation to extract some of the heat out your home.
- Last but not least, a large percentage of heat comes from your ceiling. Check the insulation in your attic, it may be time to replace or add.
Going “green” may cost more in the beginning, but it will pay for itself in the long run. You’re going to be quite pleased when you see your energy bill down from the previous months.